Monday 5 December 2016

The Beginning of My Journey / An Introduction

Dear reader,

My name is Jessica (though many call me Jess). I am eighteen years old, and I am so fortunate as to live in the beautiful city of Sydney in Australia. I graduated high school two months ago, finished my International Baccalaureate in November, and now have several peaceful months of recovery to look forward to, which I spontaneously decided to fill with this blog, my newest project.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have had the dream of being a princess. As a child, this meant wearing frilly pink dresses and a tiara, and prancing around in my backyard with my little sister. Everything I knew about princesses was from films such as Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. While I still think that all of these films and the dozens like them are beautifully made, have wonderful music, honourable morals and wholly deserve credit, as I grew older the concept of stone turrets and duets and waltzes were replaced by more modern, dare I say realistic preoccupations and the notion of being a princess became fantasy.

Vintage artwork from an illustrated work of Disney's Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Now, aged eighteen, I've reverted back to that childish obsession, but with a new, more enlightened perspective. I think that being a princess comes down to much more than royalty in itself, and certainly more than a sumptuous ballgown, golden locks, handsome prince or shimmering palace. As preached relentlessly by the (earlier) Barbie films and Walt Disney pictures, my idea of a princess is solely reliant on one's heart. Of course, things like excellent comportment, etiquette, cleanliness, composure and style contribute to one's overall success at radiating royalty, but in my humble opinion, it all comes down to what you hold inside your heart.

Don't quite believe me? Take a look at one of my most favourite people, and my idol: Audrey Hepburn. I just finished reading a beautiful memoir of Audrey's life and I can honestly say that if anyone was worthy of the princess title, it is she. Audrey was driven to success in her acting career and showed passion and enthusiasm in all that she did. She raised two sons and survived heartbreaking miscarriages and divorce with barely a hair out of place. Her work with UNICEF was as successful as her sparkling career on the silver screen, and in her own opinion, far more important. Audrey once said, "It is logic that someone who has been privileged should do something for those who are not." I think this exudes my notion of a princess.

Audrey Hepburn as Princess Anne in Roman Holiday (1953)


One disclaimer: I don't mean to make light of real-life royalty. I am conscious of the great duty and responsibility of the royal families of today and I am doing my best not to belittle their often charitable and respectful work. If anything, I am trying my best to communicate my respect for these incredible people by exploring what it is that makes them so incredible, their title put aside.

Please check back soon for more updates as I begin my journey to do as royalty should. I am looking forward to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment