Tuesday 6 December 2016

Silver Screen Queens – My Favourite Film Inspirations

Dear reader,

Now, I know I went on and on about how being a Princess is more about the heart than the frilly dress, et cetera. But in a world where television and film are a key component of entertainment, it's hard to escape from the glamour of screen Princesses. So, I present to you, my top eight (or so) films that inspire me to follow my own Princess journey.



8. Marie Antoninette (2006)
This relatively recent film is a lavish memoir of real-life Queen Marie Antoinette of France during the 18th Century. It reads like a biography, but far more stylish – think candy-coloured costumes frosted with feathers and lace, royal gossip within the beautiful Versailles and scrumptuous, delicate cakes, all set to modern rock and electronic music. Directed by Sofia Coppola, this movie is as ornate as Marie Antoinette herself, and will have you dreaming of waiting up until sunrise in your prettiest ballgown.



7. Anastasia (1997)
Contrary to popular belief, this beautifully animated film is not by Disney at all, but Twentieth Century Fox. Despite this, it has every bit as much skill in each frame, and music that makes one's heart soar. It tells the tale of Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanov as she finds her family and reclaims her place as royalty in Russia. The entire film is gorgeous, from Anastasia's pretty wardrobe to the beautiful soundtrack - my personal favourite is Journey To The Past, but Once Upon a December is a very, very close second. I remember watching this film as a child, and I suppose its magic never left me.


6. The Princess Diaries (2001)
I'm fairly sure that most teenagers and young adults today are as in love with this film as I am. And how could we not be, seeing as two A-list princesses, the Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway, star in it? Anne plays the role of gawky and dorky teenager Mia Thermopolis, whose life is changed forever when she meets her long-lost grandmother, the Queen of Genovia (Julie Andrews). This movie is so comforting to me - it's sweet and funny, and there's something about watching Julie Andrews play the role of a well-meaning (albeit sometimes strict) Queen that feels so right.


5. Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper (2004)
Okay, so I know what you might be thinking. Why am I, an 18-year-old, putting a Barbie film on my list of film inspirations? But let's just remove the Barbie title for a second and talk about this movie. While the animation doesn't rival Disney's newer films, there's something so nostalgic about the princess gowns and motif of blue and pink roses in this film. The cliché storyline is timeless and absolutely classic – Barbie plays Princess Anneliese, a Princess struggling with her arranged marriage to a Prince she doesn't know (when she'd much rather study science all day), while her brunette counterpart struggles to escape her tiresome day-to-day struggle. The girls meet and struck by their identical appearance, change places. The story features such beautiful music and morals, and is honestly a joy to watch, despite the cringe factor.


4. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
So far, you might be surprised by my lack of Disney film recommendations. My reasoning for this is that as much as I love the Disney films, most of them focus less on being a Princess, and far more on becoming one. So, with that in mind, I've chosen Beauty and the Beast to represent the entire Disney Princess franchise, because in my opinion, Belle was very much a Princess from the start. With her love of learning, kindness, lack of judgement and commanding prescence, there's something about that girl that radiates royalty. Combine that with the masterful animation, lavish golden ballgown, beautiful music and French scenery and the end result is a pretty perfect Princess film.


3. Enchanted (2007)
While essentially a parody of sorts of the Disney Princesses' ditziness, this film never fails to make me laugh, sing, and cry. Starring the beautiful Amy Adams, who plays Princess Giselle, this Disney live-action (though partially animated) film tells the very original story of a princess who finds herself in New York City. Helped by Robert (played by the dreamy Patrick Dempsey), she figures out her new world as she waits for her prince to come rescue her. (Of course, in the end it's Giselle who does the rescuing.) The film features music by Alan Menken (the genius behind most Disney classics) and cameos from Disney Princesses and cast, and best of all, has a love story to rival any animated counterpart. It also features my most favourite Disney song, So Close.


2. Roman Holiday (1953)
And where would this list be without my be-all, end-all favourite Audrey film? Roman Holiday was Audrey's first major film role, and the classic old-school glamour of this black-and-white beauty is enough to transport you straight back to the 50's. Audrey plays Princess Anne, a Princess who finds herself lost in Rome after escaping. She spends a day or two with the gorgeous Gregory Peck, who plays a writer, and the two fall in love while touring Rome on a Vespa. Audrey's natural charm and grace is accentuted by this film, which holds a special place in my heart.



1. Cinderella (2015)
The first time I saw this movie, I fell in love. I saw it another two times, then proceeded to watch it over and over on Netflix. Needless to say, it's my favourite of all the live-action Disney films. If you thought that Marie Antoinette's costumes were something, then just you wait for the beyond magical wardrobe of this incredible film. Starring the doe-eyed Lily James as Cinderella herself, this film is the perfect combination of romantic, classic, and innocent, and is nothing less than stunning visually. Cinderella's motto, "Have courage and be kind", embodies my notion of a Princess and I can honestly say that this film changed my life, even if only in a small way.

Special mention – Star Wars' Princess Leia. Because honestly, what's cooler than a sassy, elegant, well-dressed Princess from space?

I hope you take the time to enjoy some of these films! What are your favourites?



No comments:

Post a Comment